There is nothing better than a paddling on the ocean. Kayaking is enjoyable for so many reasons. When I paddle out a couple of miles into the ocean I feel so free. Removed from all the things that tend to bog me down during the week. It’s all very mundane stuff during the week, but still enough to make one feel overwhelmed at times. So kayaking is my time to relax.
On my Saturday paddle in Cabrillo Beach of south Los Angeles, I saw sea lions, a harbor seal, dolphin, pelicans, marbled godwits, gannets, and albatross. Not to mention numerous fish swimming through the gorgeous kelp beds. The scenery is gorgeous. The cliffs are stunning, the old Fermin Lighthouse is visible from the water as you go around Fermin Point.
Paddling is an excellent workout. Sometimes I paddle hard and feel the burn in my shoulders and forearms. Other times I paddle in a more gentle, slower rhythm and just cruise around the ocean. Kayaking feels so good because while I use my arms with gusto, my legs can just rest in the kayak for the day. If I could live on the water, I would!!
I have been nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award! Thank you to Fae, FaesTwistandTango.wordpress.com, for nominating me. I love to read Fae’s blog and you probably will too.
To receive this award, the blogger must share the following with their readers:
- Thank the person who honored them with this award and post their links;
- Nominate 15 other blogs for this honor; and
- Tell readers seven things about themselves.
SEVEN THINGS ABOUT ME!
1. When I was a teenager and into college, I worked on the soap opera Days of Our Lives. My job started out as Writer’s Assistant and after many years transitioned into production staff. It was a fun job, but I quit to move to Denver, Colorado… to follow a boy.
2. Cher used to babysit me and my sister when we were little girls so my parents could go on “date night.” One evening Cher brought over her new Cher Doll which was like a Barbie. My sister split the legs of my doll until one broke off. Cher gave me a new one at the studio a few days later. I’m now missing the new doll, but recently found the original broken leg. Yes, I have apparently had the broken gam for 40 years, but I am not a pack-rat.
3. I collect decorative eggs and trinket boxes. When I have a little treasure and don’t know where to put it, I stash it in one of the gazillion trinket boxes I have. One lady’s junk is another lady’s treasure.
4. The smell and feel of books is comforting. I am an avid book collector and refuse to transition to an e-reader.
5. Antiques Roadshow was in Denver one year. I took an old, hand-decorated trinket box to have it appraised. It came from India from my mom’s aunt who worked for the State Department in the 1940s until the early 1970s. I was so sure it was going to have a high dollar value. This little box is just a gorgeous, fabulous piece of history. Or so I thought. The appraiser said, “Hello dear. This is certainly beautiful. However, some things carry a sentimental value. This is a hand-made, decoupage box from the U.S. It is worth plenty in your heart.” WHAT!!?? I waited five hours in line to find out my grandma’s friend had made the box in a craft class back in Ohio in 1955. Shhhh, don’t tell. Everyone else thinks it’s worth a mint!
6. I took the MENSA test once. About 20 years ago. Passed. Received my membership card. Oddly, it expired. So I took the test again recently and I failed. No card arrived in the mail. I thought we got smarter with age. What does that mean exactly?
7. My mantra is LIFE IS SHORT. LIVE IT AND LOVE IT. The age of Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years. I maybe have 80-100 good years of life which translates to less than a microsecond compared to the age of Earth. Most of my time is spent only doing things I enjoy. My dad died young. In his lengthy illness he instilled in me some strong belief that whilst we need to be responsible humans, we need to live our short lives to the fullest enjoyment possible because you never know what tomorrow brings. He encouraged me to let my soul, let my heart, guide me. Connection to the Mother Earth will be strengthened. In the end, that is what will make me rest peacefully. That was ten years ago and that is exactly how I live today and I always have a good day.
Here are my nominations for the One Lovely Blog Award,
Adventures in Life, Health & Fitness http://4mylifefitness.wordpress.com/
The Berlin Lunchbox http://berlinlunchbox.wordpress.com/
Maggie’s One Butt Kitchen http://maggiesonebuttkitchen.wordpress.com/about/
The Occasional Traveller http://theoccasionaltraveller.com/where-i-have-been/
The Best Travel Photos http://besttravelphotos.wordpress.com/
The Vegan Weight Watcher http://theveganweightwatcher.wordpress.com/
Wayward Traveller http://waywardtraveller.com/
My Funny Eye http://myfunnyeye.blogspot.com/
The Snot Rocket http://drevets.com/the-snot-rocket/
KC Leighton http://kcleighton.com/
A Little Yoga, A Little Health, A Lotta Love http://alittleyoga.wordpress.com/
Daily Cup of Yoga http://dailycupofyoga.com/
Best Hikes http://besthike.wordpress.com/
California Canoe and Kayak http://calkayak.wordpress.com/
Joe Round Britain http://joeroundbritain.wordpress.com/
Channel Islands Outfitters http://channelislandsoutfitters.wordpress.com/
LOVE THEM ALL!