I am not a fan of Brussels sprouts (or is it Brussel sprouts — no s on the end?) Either way, with this delicious salad I have gone to the dark side, and like with asparagus, I now enjoy this once-forbidden food. Also, keenly noted the B is capitalized in my spell-checker. Anyway, on to the recipe!
Delightful recipe and mouthwatering photo from SELF Magazine.
- 8 Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 blood orange
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 heaping handfuls arugula
- 2 avocados, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 blood oranges, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup tamari almonds (found at Whole Foods Market), chopped
In a medium pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Blanch Brussels sprouts 30 seconds; drain and rinse with cold water; let cool; grate. In a sealable jar, combine oil, vinegar and citrus juices; seal; shake dressing. In a bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with arugula, avocado, orange pieces and dressing; season with salt and pepper. Divide among 6 bowls; garnish with almonds.